Sunday, April 1

A Muslim By Any Other Name

"I have now publicly denounced God...I am an atheist at heart," says Ayaan Hirsi Ali in her writings about herself and her self-proclaimed struggle to reform Islam. "We Muslims must help each other," she elaborates.

Muslims reading these two statements side by side may be scratching their heads in confusion. In theological terms, a Muslim is one who states simply that "There is no diety but God, and that Muhammad is His (last) messenger." The public avowal of these words - of believing in God - is sufficient to be counted as Muslim. The strength of belief and practice that lie behind them is immaterial. To be a Muslim in this sense is black and white, you say that you believe and you are considered a Muslim, or you say that you don't, and you're not.

But Miss Hirsi Ali peppers her writings with the phrase "we Muslims". She insists that she speaks as a voice from within the Muslim community. As a matter of faith and religion, her position in Islamic terms is quite clear - it is not possible that she is a Muslim since she does not believe in God. But she defines herself as a Muslim by virtue of her culture, ethnicity and upbringing. This, she believes, makes her a Muslim, because the separation of culture and religion in her view is a false dichotomy.

Irrespective of the clarity of the Islamic criteria for being a Muslim, it seems that the wider community consider such individuals nevertheless as Muslim. More perplexingly these individuals also consider themselves to be Muslim. Perhaps ten or even twenty years ago, nationalism would have been the grounding for identity, and Hirsi Ali would have defined herself as Somalian. Today, she sees being Muslim as a cultural state, not one of religious belief.

Is being Muslim now a cultural identity? For practising Muslims the only definition of a Muslim is that of the shahadah, but all sorts of voices are now singing at this party and it seems the common denominators of a Muslim are now up for discussion.

Hirsi Ali, or even a character like Saira Khan of The Apprentice infamy, feel that being a Muslim is not a matter of faith, but rather of cultural heritage. Muslims may have influenced their upbringing, which is why they retain the Muslim nomenclature, but they themselves admit that practice is another matter.

I relate these examples not as finger-pointing, but to bring to life the fact that opinions on what it means to be a Muslim these days are multi-coloured and multi-faceted. Is it acceptance of the creed? Is it a certain level of declared belief, irrespective of practice, "I'd like to be more practising" or "I'm a lapsed Muslim" (if you can have a lapsed Catholic, then why not...?), or is it belief and a certain observable level of practice? Or is it none of the above? Is it to be a cultural Muslim (whatever that means)? Is it to be born to Muslim parents? Or is it enough just to declare oneself to be a Muslim, and no further questions asked?

Islam is broad and robust enough to accommodate a plethora of views and the tensions that brings, despite what people may say, and the shrill voices that beg to differ both inside and outside the Muslim community. But it is indeed important that we address ourselves to the issue of what does it mean to be a Muslim? Such a question has inherent theological and human value, but it is critical at this time for other more urgent reasons.

There is a push to "reform" Islam, in the same way that Christianity underwent a 'reformation'. And just as the Christian-tinged name suggests, Islam is expected to 'reform' in line with modern day Christian-European values. Hirsi Ali, in her role as Muslim-beyond-Islam, is quite open about the motives and loyalties of voices such as hers: "Present-day Islam is not compatible with the expectations of Western states...We will need the help of the liberal west whose interests are greatly served by a reform of Islam."

And so the question of "who is a Muslim?" becomes critical in driving the debate and development of any organic changes that come from within the Islamic fold, or more jarringly, any forced changes that are imposed on it. Who is to create change and direct it? Whose voices should be promoted (if any)?

Genieve Abdo writes thoughtfully in the Washington Post: "The secular Muslim agenda is promoted because these ideas reflect a Western vision for the future of Islam...Everyone from high-ranking officials in the Bush administration to the author Salman Rushdie has prescribed a preferred remedy for Islam: Reform the faith so it is imbued with Western values - the privatisation of religion, the flourishing of Western-style democracy - and rulers who are secular, not religious, Muslims."

And so it comes as no surprise when such views are promulgated victoriously in the political arena. The favoured Muslim voices selected by politicians will reflect their own views about which kind of Islam fits best. The politics of which Muslim voices are heard, which are favoured, changes with the wind. Yesterday, in the UK, the Muslim Council of Britain were having tea at Downing Street, today it's a different flavour of Muslim buttering the scones.


What does it mean to be a Muslim? It is a deceptively simple sounding question that is laden with complexity and pitfalls. Who should decide what a Muslim sounds like, looks like, what she says, what she eats, what she wears, what values she holds, what she believes?

Given the current discussions in the political and social spheres we need to ask ourselves these most incongruous of questions. This is not a drive to create an inflexible and exclusivist private members' club. Quite the opposite. There needs be a common baseline of affiliation and understanding. A little bit of definition and agreement is very liberating as it creates the possibility for shared vision and mutual benefit and understanding. I don't feel the need to agree with every Muslim out there, and the reality is that I won't. But as a collection of communities we need to be able to point to the very basics and say, "this is what holds us together, this is the essence of being a Muslim."

The clarity of the theological foundation of the shahadah once made the definition of a Muslim simple yet robust. It then freed everyone to have their own opinion. Before Islam and Muslims can engage in any kind of ideological or political evolution, we need to clarify these basics. The stability of the groundwork will then allow a myriad of voices to engage in lively, heated and fruitful debate. As a Muslim, I wouldn't have it any other way.

This article was recently published in the Muslim News


Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Shak said...

An excellent article, but unfortunately it raises an important question. What gives you (or anyone) any right over and above Hirsi to determine what being a Muslim actually is?

It's really a discussion over semantics here. There is room in this world for "cultural Muslims" - in fact it's pretty clear they already exist. What needs to be made clear are that other parties exist and how they all relate to each other. I think the first thing we may have to do is release ownership over single words and labels and instead define ourselves specifically by what we believe. Perhaps we can be called Shahadans or something instead?

10:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very good article,as a muslim first and somalian second i believe that culture and religion cannot be mixed, though islam had taken on board in some good culture in jahaliya are in arabia such as honouring one's guest etc.
it is pretty obvious that likes of ayan hirsa anyone who proclaims he/she is atheist is out of islamic fould because islam has criteria and anyone who breaks that convenant with allah becomes kafir or murtad in the case of ayan hirse. ironically ayan hirsi claims that she speaks within muslim society but how can she speak for muslims when she is an atheist. Allah is the truth and anyone who disputes with the existence of allah is mushrik, we muslims do not marry them and eat their meat. those who support her and others who are like her are clearly enemy of allah and we do not take a heed what they said because allah has already warned us about their hatred to this religion and people who are to it. the culture of muslims should be the koran and nothing else unless it confirms with the criteria of this religion. finaly, this relgion does not need to reform we muslims need to practice it and hold it fast in this age of islamicphobia. surely, islam had been completed by the time of last pilgrimage or hajul widaac when allaha says sbw today we have completed your religion and chosen you islam as a religion. scw
khadar

5:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one has any right but the definition is quite clear Shak! Just like an apple is an apple a Muslim is one who submits to the will of God. Nothing more, nothing less. So that is that. I don't think broadening the definition helps anyone. If they are so hung up on the background this gives them they can always say "I come from a Muslim country or family". And people who do believe in something cannot reform it or even ask for reformation. If you leave the house how can you go back and redecorate?!

12:56 am  
Blogger Hey Skipper said...

What does the Q'uran say should be done to her, since she is an apostate?

9:45 pm  
Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Salaam. I agree with everyone else, great post. My two cents - I don't think it really matters so much if different Muslims take very different view points on what it is to be Muslim, even if those differences are quite radical. I say this provided that at the end there is a core unity amongst Muslims, which may be represented in social or cultural terms. Possibly even politics, but I've always been against mixing religion (of any kind) with politics.

I am an atheist and I still consider myself a Muslim. But unlike Ali I realise that slagging Islam off to a bunch of Westerners plays no constructive role and really just feeds the preconceptions of those who non-Muslims who dislike Islam. I haven't read much of her work but I get the impression she has something of a complex as she holds out the West as some paragon of liberal virtue which it is not.

11:40 am  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

Hey Iqbal, thanks for posting your comment.

How do you reconcile the states of being atheist and being Muslim? What is it about yourself do you think that makes you choose the identifier 'Muslim'? This is the question that I'm trying to address and understand in this piece...

11:45 am  
Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Hiya.

Um I don't see it as a scientific thing. My atheism isn't much of a statement of values. It's more of a statement of 'fact' as I believe it to be, viz I'm not convinced there's a god. I remember for a time (many years ago now!) praying with my family to make them feel happy but I always felt bad about it. It felt disengenuous to pretend to submit to Allah when you're not entirely sure you believe in him.

Being Muslim to me is a lot of things, mostly instincts and a cultural imprint. For me the interest in Islam is now more political, historical, cultural.

And I guess really the key thing is I still have a positive sense of being Muslim. So unlike Ali I don't automatically blame Islam for everything Muslims do. Like other Muslims I feel like a part of me is being challenged and ridiculed.

11:42 pm  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

The Arabic word "Muslim" is the person who subscribes to submission (to no god but One God, etc). Are you saying that you feel that this word has undergone a semantic shift when it moved from Arabic to English so that it is now related to your birth? For example, as far as I am aware, a Jew is simply a Jew by virtue of being born to a Jewish mother. You either are, or you are not, which is why Jews are considered a race under British law. However, being a Muslim is a matter of belief in Islam rather than a matter of birth. No? If you do not accept the basic principle of God (which is entirely your choice) then what defines you as Muslim, rather than for example, Indian, Arab, Malay, Chinese, English etc?

8:54 pm  
Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Well the same argument could me mounted against most theists - those who follow a particular religious belief. Most of us are born into a certain religion, rather than choose to accept it after a period of independent reflection. Most people don't do that, and in fact their religion remains latent. This is not unique to Islam in fact. So for example, during partition or the civil war in the Yugoslavia, what held people to their labels was not an in depth understanding of what it is to be Muslim or Hindu or Serbian or Croat, but a perception of these things derived from what others whom they identified with were giving them. Islam is the fastest growing religion because of the Muslim birth rate. In my experience observing Islam, I've noticed it has rarely been a unifying sociopolitical force. For example, in the diaspora, the Pakistanis have their own mosque, as do the Lebanese, etc. There is an Umma, for sure, and there is a bond among Muslims which I have personally shared on a number of occasions and in a number of countries. This is an amazing experience which I am very proud to be a part of. But it is only one of many bonds that people have. People can be unified on any number of different grounds, and usually are - religion is but one of those unifiers. Further, for most Muslims their faith is more cultural and habitual rather than theological. There is an increase in orthodox Islam, so this may well change over time. But this has much more to do with the political climate. I don't think people gravitate towards orthodox Islam because it offers more intellectual sustenance. It might give them an excuse not to answer the nagging doubts in their head. But that is hardly intellectual sustenance. If anything it's moral cowardice.

It saddens me when people say if you don't believe in Allah and that Muhammad was actually visited by Gabriel that you cannot be Muslim. There is an incredible lack of imagination in such statements. Many great scholars attributed to Islam (for example Ibn Warraq) questioned the factual accuracy of statements such as whether the Koran is the word of God. It seems to me that for most Muslims things are in reverse. We assume the stated canon is the bedrock of what it is to be Muslim without ever discovering for ourselves whether it is accurate. If the Koran is the word of God, for example, what distinguishes it from other texts which others claim is also the word of God? No organised religion tolerates the beliefs of other faiths at the apex of their dogma. Which is to say even if say Islam or the B'hai recognise other faiths, to enter paradise you must follow their understanding of that faith.

The greatest gift a person can give to their values is to question them. It really is a shame more Muslims don't investigate the historicity of Islam. If more of us did this, rather than relying on outsiders, I think we'd far more readily appreciate Islam in all its complex glory.

Just on the 'what defines a person as Muslim rather than..." question, well I'm also an Australian, a Pakistani, male, short-sighted, etc. Identity is multidimensional.

Anyway I'll end my speil there! :-)

1:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone answer this...
I am a trainee primary school teacher. In RE we are currently looking at the Muslim family. During my last lesson I said the Q'uran is kept high up in the Muslim home as a sign of respect etc etc, and I was pulled up on this. My mistake was saying that ALL Muslims have the Q'uran in their home. I appologise for my naivety but could anyone guide me as to what is the correct, standard definition of a Muslim, I thought it is was a person who is the follower of Islam, not a race just as I have been brought up in a christian country but am an atheist and feel it is incorrect to call myself otherwise.

Just some guidance would be great. Educated in a convent meant there was no other religion!!!
Thanks.

10:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sister Shelina and all
Hello everyone, my name is .... well, you can call me sister Francesca.
Uh, why would a Quran-alone sister like myself choose to adopt an Italian name?
I will say that in the next message.

I really like Sister Shelina's website and her intention to "add some colours", however there are few things I don't agree 100% with, so I hope I will be given a chance to express my views.

First Hirsi.
As everyone knows, when she was a little girl, she was repeatedly abused in the name of Islam, and like myself she escaped an arranged marriage.
However she later decided to renounce Islam, while I decided to adhere to the Quran-alone position.
Hirsi does not deserve condemnation, but those who abused her in the name of Islam do.
More in the next post
Sister Francesca

5:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear all
As to Sister Saira, she is not my favourite cup of tea, but she still does not deserve flak.
She is successful, so what?
She married a Mr Steven Hyde, white, enclish and non-muslim, so what?
She is the bete noire of those bigoted mad mullahs who are giving Islam such an awful name, so what?
Sister Francesca

5:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all
Let me say something about myself, so that you can understand where I am coming from.
I was born in Britain from an extremely strict South Asian Sunni Muslim family.
My parents had many kids, but as the only girl I was expected to carry "the family honour", which for my extremely strict father was a special obsession.
When I turned 18 I was forced to accept an arranged marriage with a man I immensely disliked.
When I objected my father beat me up and pointing a knife to my throat said "if you ever soil the honour of the family, I will wash it with your blood".
That man I was forced to accept as husband was a sick, controlling, vile brute.
One day, after the usual beating, taking advantage of a moment that I was left alone, I ran off to the police station begging for help, and I was referred to a hostel for abused women.
In the hostel I knew a nice and caring Italian lady who taught me the Italian language and helped me move to Italy (my family was actively trying to locate me, so Britain was no longer safe) where I knew my husband.
He is a lovely, educated and caring Italian gentleman, who accepted from the beginning my decision not to embrace the Roman Catholic religion.
Our marriage has been blessed with 4 children.
Shame that I have been unable to return to Britain ever since, except on a few holidays, but thanks God there is the internet, so I can follow what is gong on in Britain.
More on the next messages
Take care for now
Sister Francesca

5:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muslims Against Sharia Poll:
Does Islam Need to Be Reformed?

6:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home