Wednesday, October 7

BBC Radio 4 this Friday, discussing "Questioning the veil" by Marnia Lazreg

I've been invited onto Radio 4's Woman's Hour this friday to discuss Marnia Lazreg's recent publication "Questioning the Veil."

The book's description says:

Across much of the world today, Muslim women of all ages are increasingly turning to wearing the veil. Is this trend a sign of rising piety or a way of asserting Muslim pride? And does the veil really provide women freedom from sexual harassment? Written in the form of letters addressing all those interested in this issue, Questioning the Veil examines the inconsistent and inadequate reasons given for the veil, and points to the dangers and limitations of this highly questionable cultural practice. Marnia Lazreg, a preeminent authority in Middle East women's studies, combines her own experiences growing up in a Muslim family in Algeria with interviews and the real-life stories of other Muslim women to produce this nuanced argument for doing away with the veil.

Lazreg stresses that the veil is not included in the five pillars of Islam, asks whether piety sufficiently justifies veiling, explores the adverse psychological effects of the practice on the wearer and those around her, and pays special attention to the negative impact of veiling for young girls. Lazreg's provocative findings indicate that far from being spontaneous, the trend toward wearing the veil has been driven by an organized and growing campaign that includes literature, DVDs, YouTube videos, and courses designed by some Muslim men to teach women about their presumed rights under the veil.

An incisive mix of the personal and political, supported by meticulous research, Questioning the Veil will compel all readers to reconsider their views of this controversial and sensitive topic.


I've just started reading this, and will post a review in due course, but do blog readers have any opinions on this book (especially if they've read it) and the issues and contexts that Lazreg raises?

You can read the full introduction to the book here: http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/i8986.pdf

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read it yet (actually haven't heard of it until now). It sounds interesting though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say about it. :)

6:09 am  
Anonymous Rachi said...

What time is Woman's Hour? I might be able to catch you on there.

Afraid I can't comment otherwise as I don't know much about veiling. I do have a friend from Qatar who was bullied on the London Underground on several occasions and now doesn't wear the veil in the UK out of fear of persecution and lack of evidence of the need for it in Islam.

I would say the topic can't be generalised- each woman will have a story to tell and I hope that the radio show promotes that differences are important and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to personal freedom.

4:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It should be an interesting discussion. While I have worn hijab since I converted some years ago. I have noticed an increased trend in the effort to get Muslim women to put more on - be it better hijab, a bigger abaya, niqab, etc. Like the fellow who looks and sounds totally Western going on and on about "that's not hijab". Well I know if I tied it back and (gasp) exposed a hint of neck the degree of prejudice and threats to me and my children would go down tremendously because I wouldn't stick out (much like the guy complaining about women getting it wrong - beardless Westernized chap that he is). It is easy for men who aren't being threatened on a regular basis because they blend in telling women they only way to "protect" themselves is to stick out in the most blatant way possible. I flew about a month ago with no less than 8 Orthodox Jewish women. All with long skirts and shirts, plus a hat,snood, or beret. They were equally modest in my opinion and no one looked twice at them - but me - everyone had the look of "Oh God we have one of those on the plane". I am all for Muslim pride but I am also for a relationship with the Almighty which can be hampered by feeling you are singled out for an extra dose of suffering due to solely your sex.

10:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

salam,

Intersting blog. Do you hapen to have a recording of this interview - on Womens' Hour?

Also how can i get in touch with you to arrange an media interview with you? what is your email address please?

Waslama

2:04 pm  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

Unfortunately i don't have a recording of the show.

If you need to get in touch, post up a comment with your email address. I won't publish it, but will capture your address and contact you.

4:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home