Sunday, October 8

Newsnight - the debate on Muslim women continues

On Friday night I got invited down to the hallowed studios of the BBC to appear live on Newsnight. You can check out the discussion here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/default.stm
Click on "latest programme"

Spirit21 has certainly had a lot more visitors over the last couple of days - hello to my new guests! The topic has obviously raised a huge amount of passionate debate.

The highlight had to be meeting Kirsty Wark before the show in the make-up room. "You have great lips" she told me.



Update, and here's the video at last! I've put the whole show up. I participate in the studio discussion 16 minutes into the show.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you are being vain with the business of your lips Shelina...

After all, KW would not have been able to see your lips had you had a veil on!

12:22 am  
Blogger PeterP said...

Botheration, I missed the lips! But I've no doubt Ms Wark's favourable judgement is to be trusted:)

9:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you on Newsnight. I hope they will get you back on there (and other progs) often, to discuss a whole range of issues. I may not always agree with you but the calm and authoritative way that you made your points put some of our "professional TV personalities" to shame.

Great stuff

Graham (from Harry's Place)

12:16 pm  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

in response to anonymous, KW would be able see a woman without her veil as she is a girl too! :)

4:30 pm  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

to graham: it's good to see you charting my progress

4:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About KW and the lips,

at least it made you smile :)

6:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting discussion on newsnight - I was quite pleased to see Muslims on the show who were well versed in the English language.

As a Muslim, I don't see the necessity of the veil. Other Muslims may disagree and state that it is incumbent to wear it, but I believe a minute minority hold this view. Infact, I think one draws more interest/attention towards them by wearing it - however the bottom line is that there should be freedom as to what kind of religous symbols and clothing one can wear.

6:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asalamualikum

Good to see Muslims standing up for our beliefs and values, finally. The veil isn't the real issue here, its much deeper then that. It is the values our society holds towards people of different beliefs and how much people are willing to tolerate each other. When they talk of integration I say "I was integrated until you told me I wasn't."

4:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home