Sunday, March 30

The Muslim Writers Awards - winner for Best Non-Fiction Writer

[Readers are advised that this posting comes with a High-Cheese-Factor warning]

As I stood on stage to accept this award under the glittering lights and in front of a thousand people, I felt a huge surge of emotion. It sounds cheesy, I know, but my lips were trembling as I tried to share my feelings with the audience. I felt - and all day today have been feeling - overwhelmed. Although I have always written since I was child, it is only two short years ago that I set up this blog as a cheeky place to be me, and to find my own voice. I am very moved, and extremely honoured that what I write and speak from the heart has touched others. And I am humbled that these words have been deemed worthy of an award.


Here is the beautiful award. I must confess that I got out my cloth and spray today and gave it a bit of a polish.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well deserved!

12:13 am  
Blogger Sofi said...

good for you!

enjoy the moment because it is definitely well deserved.

well done and, most importantly, keep it up!

10:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salam

Shelina I was actually at the awards and I was sitiing at the table next to yours lol. I just wanted to say as an avid reader of your blog I was ecstatic you won and what a marvellous event. To echo Irfan's sentiment it made proud to be muslim. Your acceptance speech was very moving Mubarak

6:45 pm  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

Thanks for all your kind words everyone. Your support means so much. And it's what keeps me writing!

11:02 pm  
Blogger Koekie said...

What a wonderful blog - educating, informative and beautifully written. Will definitely be returning. Congratulations on your recent award - well deserved!

8:16 am  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

Thanks Koekie, what a lovely comment. I look forward to seeing you around again soon

8:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shelina
Congratulations! Read your blog because it provides me with a view soooo different to mine and always beautiful. Youre someone I admire and have grown to love deeply. Allah bless you and continue to bless us all through you.

9:07 am  
Blogger Honufa said...

Congratulations! MashaAllah.

Is there any way we could read the piece of writing you had submitted?

3:51 pm  
Blogger PeterP said...

Marvellous and well done you. Couldn't have managed it without your adoring fans to inspire you of course ;-)

Peter

10:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mashaAllah and mubarak.Well done and all the very best to you and your family,the must be sooo proud of you.the world is proud of you keep the good work up.bhaijaan.

10:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaam, I'm Humaira :) I was at the awards night too, I won the under-16s award. I just wanted to say I love your blog and congratulations on winning. It was an amazing night, and your speech was very moving.

5:37 pm  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

Humaira - I have to say without doubt that your acceptance speech was the best of the evening

Peter - i say with a completely straight face and open heart that yes, it is the readers who inspire and motivate me, so thank you to all of you

Honufa - the awards criteria required me to submit a sample of my work, so I used some of the writings that have been published already both on the blog and in The Muslim News.

Anonymous - thank you for your very kind and generous support, i'm so pleased you enjoy your visits to Spirit21. Please keep coming and sharing your thoughts

3:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home