Monday, July 31

The pleasure of a new word

Here's a brief time out from the seriousness of the conflict in Lebanon...

I'm currently on a training course run by the lovely company I work for, about "Getting the best out of others". I learnt a new word on this course. It is... (drum roll please)...

paradoxicalcounterproductivity

I think its a pretty cool word, so in my cheesy way, I thought I'd share it with you.

It means when you put something in place to do a job, but actually instead of improving things, its very presence makes the situation worse. For example, there is a theory that if you don't put in traffic lights, traffic regulates itself and actually flows better. However, people perceive that traffic is dangerous and chaotic so they put in lights. And what happens, is that the traffic actually gets worse. So the lights are an example of paradoxicalcounterproductivity. Super-cool.

Any good words you know of?

p.s. I thought more about this and as a total coincidence (honest!) it seems to encapsulate my view of Israel's activities. They think the bombing will help them, but actually I think it will make things worse...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mindscriber said...

One word which George W Bush has learnt and that is the word "sustainable" -

10:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

paradoxicalcounterproductivity

what handy word, it can be applied to so many things.

- progressive taxation
- minimum wage
- unemployment benefit
- multiculturalism

11:13 am  
Blogger Shelina Zahra Janmohamed said...

I liked how you snuck that one in there right at the end. I think multiculturalism exists whether you name it or not, it is a de facto state of human existence. The problem is that we live in a social mindset that thinks of cultures and languages (amongst other things) as monolithic and prescriptive, when in fact they are fluid, interactive and self determining.

3:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home